Is Your Home Making You Ill? Why Fungi and Mold is a Big Problem

December 19, 2014 | Carpet Cleaning Blog

Water in your home causes damage ranging from minimal to devastating. However, there is more to worry about than just ruined possessions when you suffer disaster damage. Mold, mildew and fungi microbes thrive in wet, moist and repeatedly leaking areas in your home, sometimes unbeknownst to you. Disaster damage brings with it a whole host of microbes causing mold and fungi to grow where the damage occurred with the potential to make everyone in your home ill. Normal cleaning and drying will not always get rid of the problem and many homeowners do not have the tools and expertise to clean up the mold themselves. When you have damage in your home look for a local restoration company to help with clean up including wall and carpet cleaning to ensure that mold and fungi is removed properly and exposure minimize to everyone living in your home.

Disaster damage occurs when you have flooding from a heavy rain storm or broken drain pipes, damp basements from natural running ground water, leaky roofs or windows, sewage back-up and high humidity areas in your home, like bathrooms. According to FEMA, mold develops within 48 hours after disaster damage exposure and unless you treat the problem, it continues to grow.

Mold and fungi growth in your home causes many adverse side effects if you do not remove it properly. Breathing in the spores makes people and pets ill with symptoms such as wheezing, asthma attacks, coughing, eye, nose, throat and skin irritation, headaches and other aches and pains. Those with allergies and asthma have a higher sensitivity to mold or any immune disorders.

You can recognize mold and fungi by discoloration on the surface area and it usually has a musty, earthy or foul smell to it. If you think you have mold in your home from leaking disaster damage or flood damage, check out local carpet cleaning services and restoration companies to help you successfully remove the mold and keep your family safe.
Contact Us:
Call (612) 331-4454

24/7 Emergency Response • Get Help Now